Friday, February 08, 2008

Trial Class at Toddlers Unlimited

We arrived a Toddlers Unlimited around 11:05. Classes start at 11:00 am so when we arrived, the class is just about to start. Teacher Lei called us in and Teacher Gabby (she’s the one that I talked to when I inquired over the phone) allowed me to join the class too so Bela won’t have a hard time adjusting. First routine is the free choice where children can select the toys or materials they want to play with. At first, Bela keeps on tugging my hand and wants me to get the toy for her. But after warming up a little bit, she got used to the new set up and started to explore the toys on her on. They spend 45 minutes for this routine. After the free choice, they started to pack away the toys and I was so proud that Bela willingly obeyed Teacher Lei and she started packing away the toys. (This is also their routine at the Little Gym so she is a little familiar with this kind of setup.)

Next routine is Circle Time. Teacher Lei gave Bela props (like pictures of sun, star and spider) that Bela can use while she is singing. And Bela gladly sang with Teacher Lei and she was imitating the actions that Teacher Lei was doing together with the songs.

Then it’s Art Time. They were asked to sit on the chair and they we’re given materials to work with. I was so proud again of Bela because she just sat on the chair and patiently waited for Teacher Lei to give them instructions on what to do. Teacher Lei gave them coloring materials and she asked Bela what is her favorite color. Bela answered “vilet (violet)” and then she picked the violet dot-to-dot pen. She started to imitate what Teacher Lei and her classmate Tal is doing. After the activity, they we’re asked to follow Yaya Yeyen to the washroom to wash their hands. I guided her out and she lined up and let Yaya Yeyen washed her hands.

After Art Time is Snack Time. We we’re not informed that we have to bring snacks so Bela don’t have anything for snack time. But Teacher Lei gave Bela some cookies. I went out of the room to get her water and when I entered the room, I was surprised that Bela is sitting and she was eating the cookie on her own. And she just grabbed her water cup and drink from it and didn’t even ask for my help.

When they’re done eating, they went out of the room to go to the Romp Area for playing. Before they can go to the Romp Area, they have to line up first outside and follow Teacher Lei who will lead them to the Romp Area. On the floors are pictures of animals and Teacher Lei asked the kids to step on one of the animals. This way, she is already asking the kids to line up. Bela of course, had a great time at the Romp Area.

I was really glad with how her trial class turned out because I was able to prove that Bela is already ready for preschool. She was able to interact well with the teachers and with the other kids. I just hope that she will still act this way even if we’re no longer around inside the classroom.

My mom was also impressed with the methods TU is using. TU is a progressive school which utilizes individualize and age appropriate methods to teach the kids. My mom is a former educator (25 years as a kinder teacher) so I was kind of scared that it will be difficult to impress her and I might have a hard time getting her approval. But she too was so impressed with TU. My mom even commented that that’s what she was looking for, for Bela. That they employ non traditional methods to entice the kids to learn and at the same time, Bela is still having fun.

Actually, I’m already set in enrolling Bela there. There is just one thing that I didn’t like during the trial which concerns me. When the kids are playing at the Romp Area, Bela climbed the Little Tykes Activity Center and the two teachers are not looking after her. My mom just ran inside the romp area to hold Bela because the activity center is a little high and she almost fell down. And then she fell down at the slide because, again the two teachers are not looking after her. But I can just point this out to Teacher Gabby if ever I enrolled Bela because she is really a little active for her age so she really needs to be looked at while playing. And I think we should still try to attend trial class with other preschools so at least we have something to compare TU with. I would still be on leave on Monday because I have scheduled a trial class for Bela at Cambridge Child Development Center in Banawe so watch out for my post about that.

I didn’t bring Howell’s cam and my mom’s camera was low bat, so I was only able to take a few pictures.

.: eating her cookie while listening to Teacher Lei's story :.

.: @ the romp area :.

2 comments:

Jane said...

hi abie! 45 min ba yung free play? wow ang hba ha... parang kay sophia now hindi ganun kahaba.

anyway, glad to know okay ka naman with TU but nicer to look around pa para you can really decide and compare. para di ka magsisis hehe

goodluck sis!

abie said...

Hi Jane,

Mas younger kse yung mga kasama ni Bela sa class noong nag trial sya kesa kay Sophia. Baka pag mas younger mas mahaba ang free play...hehehe...

Yup, sabi ko kay Howell gusto ko pa din mag visit ng ibang school. Para mapag compare namin.

Happy weekend sis.