Friday, February 01, 2008

My take on Enopi

We just got back from our visit to Center for Children’s Well Being School in Caloocan. As what I mentioned in my previous post, we went there to check out the Reading Laboratory program that they are offering. And we’re all disappointed, that we decided not to enroll Bela.

When I called them, they said that they need to asses Bela. So I thought they will assess Bela on what she already knows like if she knows the alphabet already or if she can count, distinguish shapes and colors and the like. But I was surprised to find out that they are only assessing Bela base on whether she can sit still for 30 minutes to one hour. According to the teacher that I talked to, the reading laboratory requires students to be seated during the entire duration of the class (30 minutes for twice a week class and one hour for once a week class) since they will be teaching kids to read. So I thought this is not the appropriate method of teaching kids of Bela’s age. Then the teacher also mentioned that they will be having worksheets. I don’t think I want to subject Bela to worksheets this early.

So I already made a decision that I will not enroll Bela to this program. Another thing that disappoints us is that they don’t even allow us to go inside the center to check their facilities. They didn’t even let us in their office to explain to us what Enopi is or what programs they can offer for my daughter. They talked to us while we are outside and the teacher is inside the counter and there is a glass window that is separating us. Also, when I asked what we can expect from the program and what methods of teaching they are using, they just said that we will know about it during the orientation. They don’t want to divulge much information which is what I’m looking for since I want to make a good choice for the classes that I’m enrolling Bela in.

I have started inquiring to a number of progressive preschools already and so I can’t help but compare the way they answered our inquiry and the way they deal with their clients.

I checked on this Enopi program because my friend convinced me that I should start Bela to Enopi as early as she can because it is a really good program. But after learning some information about it, my take now is that it is a supplemental program for kids in elementary level and not for kids of Bela’s age as it is very traditional and would really require a lot of time of the kids which I don’t think they will enjoy at a very young age.

0 comments: